DIRECTIONS FOR: CHOCOLATE ALMOND ENERGY GEMS
chocolate almond energy ingredients:
- 1 cup whole almonds, lightly toasted (see Cook’s Note)
- 1 cup pitted dates
- raisins(1 cup )
- ½ cup pitted prunes
- ½ cup rolled oats (certified, gluten-free)
- 4 oz unsweetened dark chocolate, chopped
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Sesame seeds, cocoa powder or shredded coconut, for coating the gems
TIPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS:
To toast almonds, preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Spread the almonds in a single layer on a baking tray or pie plate and toast for about 15 minutes, until they brown a little. Cool before using or storing in an airtight container.
- Pulse the almonds dates, raisins, prunes, and oats in a food processor until evenly blended, scraping the bowl if needed. Add the chocolate and cinnamon and pulse until the chocolate works itself in and the mixture comes together (the chocolate may melt a bit as you blend, but that is expected – it helps to bond the mixture together).
- Use a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon to scoop truffle-sized portions of the mixture and shape into balls between your hands. To coat the energy gems, dip your hands in a little water and roll each gem again (the water helps the coating to adhere) and roll it in the coating of your choice.
- The gems can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks or can be chilled or frozen for a cooling treat.